Thursday, July 10, 2008

There are ALWAYS Exceptions.........

It's a work night for me and I have nothing to be posting about.........except........


THE Wife thinks she lost track of a handful of foreign coins which she already has a handful of right where I always knew they were but she insists there were alot more of them and is tearing the house apart looking for them. Funny how these extra coins are utterly missing from MY memory concerning foreign coins, but hey, what do I know?

I received a rather odd and remarkable birthday present from my boss today. I don't recall if I ever shared with you guys how we deal with the dearly departed on my unit, but it's always been a point of contention with me over all these years. I imagine you automatically associate dead bodies with neat plastic zippered bags, but here at my place of employment, we have been forced to prepare our deceased patients by.........sigh........wrapping them in cheap, thin, almost transparent sheets of plastic, bound with strips of cloth, something so disrespectful and crude it has made something I never really enjoyed something I downright dreaded. The thought that MY mother was treated this way still sticks in my craw. This has gone on since before I started working here more than ten years ago and I have constantly complained about it, arguing that our patients deserved to treated better than this, and I don't care if a nice zippered bag MIGHT cost this corporation 5 cents more per unit, this has always been an outrage as far as I was concerned. Every new nurse I have had the unfortunate pleasure to introduce to "the way we do things here" has expressed shock at this idea of wrapping bodies in a sheet of plastic, and I could do little but agree with them.

This is where the pictures I don't think need be supplied would otherwise go. Thank you for your understanding.

Like I said, I received a birthday present from my wonderful new boss today. I had spoken to her about this sore subject a week ago, and today she presented me with a nice package containing a quality zippered body bag, which thanks to her intervention we will now be stocking. No longer will I have to DREAD the idea of a family member innocently returning to the room after their loved one has been prepared the old way. Now, our deceased patients will be sent out in a much more respectful way. I know, why would a dead person care what happens with their body once they have left? It's not for them, really. It's for us. And ordinary, basic, respect. Today I won a long fought battle. Thank you, boss.

Later this night, THE resident daughter discovered a rather robust spider busy building a humongous web right over our front porch, perhaps preparing a trap for flying creatures of the night. I have no doubt that THIS sucker could take on a bat or even a small bird should such a creature fly into it's beautifully crafted web. I wonder if this guy comes out EVERY night, laying his trap, then wrapping things up before the sun comes up. Maybe........

Before I got off of work, I suddenly acquired this strange craving for a fish sandwich; you know, along the lines of the BK Whaler, or the McDonalds Fillet-oh-Fish. Only bigger. So, we stopped off on the way home and bought the closest thing we could find to square breaded fish fillets, of which there were none. Still, with buns, tarter sauce, lettuce, tomato, and tater tots, the EXPERIENCE was created and enjoyed, and a craving dealt with once and for all.

The cat Cricket seems to be recovering from her bout with the flu. ATTA GIRL!

So, like I said, this is a work night, during which I rarely post.

SURPRISE!

6 comments:

  1. I am so touched by your concern for the deceased. When my daddy died I made sure we all left and would not see how he was transported to the Coroners office. Knowing there are folks out there like you... lightens my load and fills me with gratitude for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, what do you do exactly?

    ReplyDelete
  3. What you did is nothing short of heroic. Congratulations for being a great guy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Better wrapped in spider webs like frodo than plastic and fabric.

    Well won! And lucky you, a boss who not only listens but who comprehends.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You make us all proud, Brother.

    d.

    ReplyDelete

Opposite and Equal Reactions