Monday, November 10, 2008

Rats!

Today THE Wife had her myelogram, a test we both were looking forward to with no shortage of trepidation. When they go messing with your spine and the fluid within it, visions of all kinds of complications go dancing in your head, mine as well as hers. However, it did not take nearly as long and was no where near as horrible an experience as we thought it might be. The possible "severe headache" that might have occurred didn't, and she claims she hardly even felt the needles they tapped her with. So, at least as far as the test goes, it was a swimming day. Now we have to wait another ten days for her return appointment with the neurosurgeon. I'm seriously considering casting a spell that, while in the presence of my wife at least, makes THIS particular doctor the best neurosurgeon that ever walked the face of the Earth. That's not to much to ask, is it?

On the home front, it seems that VERMIN have invaded the hallowed halls of Pendragon Hold. In several places on several nights we have heard the unmistakable sounds of GNAWING beneath our floor, and this is after I had peered out our backdoor one night awhile back to witness a RAT scurrying along our picket fence towards the house. Today I crawled under the castle and believe I have found some entry points that this rodent has made, and have placed a trap as well as some poison bait in the area. Do I have some axe to grind with rats? No, unless they take it upon themselves to go chewing holes in my home, THEN we have a problem. Rats, you now have my undivided attention. I will END you.

How often has it occurred to us that our candid home photos, the kinds we used to store in shoeboxes and in photo albums, were snapshots of happy moments in our lives, yet how many pictures of not-so-happy times or tragedies do we have? None, I would venture to say. When someone you love has been hurt, or an argument of epic proportions has broken out, or people are yelling and screaming and crying, no one is apt to run for the camera or video thing to record the precious moment. Yet, all these things occur, and we remember them even without the assistance of the pictures. Just an observation that came to me as once again I proved to people around me just how painfully human I can be, even when deep in my soul I insist to myself that I am above it all. All I can say is, I think we all should remember that ALL moments in our lives, those many precious minutes and hours and days, weeks, and months spent together are what shaped our relationships and made them so precious. I have gained, and lost, and hope to regain respect of those who mean so much to me, and in the meantime, pay my penance. In the interest of TMI, I will not be more specific as to what I pay penance for, but suffice it to say, I ask, if someone reading this should know exactly what I speak of, that you consider that I might possibly be a better person than I might otherwise seem to be. At least I strive to be.

Life goes on here at Pendragon Hold. The gardens have done their best and have been put to rest, the four legged friends have seen the last of their graze for some months and now retire to feed and hay, and the Earth rests till warmth returns in Spring. I ask so little of my Gods, but I most fervently call upon them to protect what is mine, and to allow me to die here one day on what I consider sacred ground. And when I go forth to my final rest, I only ask of my love to let me go grudgingly, with affection, and forgiveness for any minute not spent with me most joyously.

Blessed be you all.

9 comments:

  1. I'm glad your wife avoided the dreaded "spinal headache." My little boy had them for days after a spinal tap and it was surely no fun. Hope the tests are good. And whatver it is you are struggling to rectify, good luck to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad the myelogram went well - will keep my fingers crossed for the results.

    You need a couple of feisty Jack Russells or Rat Terriers to take care of those vermin for you. Cats aren't fond of hunting rats, unless they are very large cats, as the rodents can be pretty fierce. But those little terriers do a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll stop by Saint Mary's tomorrow and light a candle and send the Goddess some prayers...ask Jesus's mama to keep her safe..

    ReplyDelete
  4. We use both PitBull Terriers and Rue to keep the rats next door. Rattus seems to avoid both the animal and the plant helpers.
    Love,
    Terri in Joburg

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too am glad your wife escaped without the headache. They are a bitch.

    I found clues of mouse invasion in our home and for some reason am still feeding the cat - obviously she's been so well fed she's not felt it necessary to do the ONE thing we ask of her. I won't poison 'em though I would live trap 'em (if my husband would agree to it which he hasn't yet).

    Good luck getting rid of your unwanted guests.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A pet Hawk would come in handy right about now, wouldn't it? I'm new here and have yet to write a blog of my own. Just looking for some inspiration and came across yours. Good luck with the infestation, good luck with the penance, and good luck to your wife. Blessed Be!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad the BETTER half went through it all with as little discomfort as you expressed here.

    Take care mate ........

    ReplyDelete
  8. My Mom photographs dead people. For some reason unknown to the rest of us, she takes her camera to the funeral home and snaps a pic. I think it's strange, but you gotta love her, cuz you can't kill her.

    ReplyDelete

Opposite and Equal Reactions