Thursday, January 31, 2008

CONTACT!

Friends, when is the last time that you received a genuine letter, you know, the kind that makes it's way slowly to your mailbox from some distant place, not that mass-produced you've-been-approved-for-this or you-have-won-that kinda crap we are buried under thanks to the US Post Office. What I am talking about is that hand written or typed letter that USED to be the way most Americans talked to each other over vast distances because long distance telephonage was so expensive. Remember? Well, I got one of those letters today, from an Aunt I had lost contact with almost ten years ago and thought I might never hear from again.

I have been somewhat estranged from a VERY large family for some time now, being the only child of a free-spirited gypsy soul who lived her life precariously and not always responsibly, which included raising me, which she didn't. There are times I believed this family should have been there for me when I truly needed them, but there WHERE times when many of them WERE, only I was not in the frame of mind to appreciate them as much as I should have. Thus, when my Mother died in my care, we suffered pretty much alone, alone that is with the exception of her Sister June, who flew all the way from Alaska to Florida to be with my Mom when she passed over, the Aunt whom I have just reestablished contact with. I am not casting aspersions on the rest of my extended family, it's just the way it was, and that is history. I am SO happy to hear from her!

Which brings me to this blog, as well as the other two that chronicle my life, my thoughts, my opinions, my sorrows and my joys, for so many of these long past years. Isn't it great that I have such a record to share with her, the good, the bad, AS well as the ugly. She isn't all that familiar with the concept of the Blog, but hopefully, reading mine will allow her some idea of what life has been like for her long lost nephew.

I also have a plethora of new email addresses belonging to a whole slew of cousins, most of which, believe it or not, own Apple Macs, rather than those painfully hard-to-get-to-do-anything-with PeeCees that the population at large is slave to, so hopefully I will be able to talk and speak to them using iChat, the video conferencing program superior to all others that use PC's.

Like Buffalo likes to say, Life is sweet, for relative reasons.........

3 comments:

  1. I have re-discovered family over the years. It's an interesting thing.

    And, I made the move successfully - I'm at my new blog home already.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I received a letter via snail mail on January 14th. It was mailed from Kansas on December 13th.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So where do I come to hear thy words of wisdom? here there or where?

    ReplyDelete

Opposite and Equal Reactions