Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Places of Worship

When I was a young lad, having been baptized in the Catholic Church, I was made to attend a quant little church that probably housed no more than 100 worshipers at one time. It had some stained glass windows, but it was nothing grandiose, not like the grand Cathedrals of Europe, the gold-plated mosques of the Middle East, or the other grand halls where peoples of differing faiths all gather to watch each other suck up to God. I sometimes wonder how many houses or bellies full of food could have been purchased with the wealth squandered on these architectural black holes.

As a Pagan, I am so glad to be free to communicate with divinity just about anywhere I care to, knowing I will be heard just as well. I can speak to my God, my Goddess, whenever, wherever the mood strikes me, instead of having to rely on some priest or mullah to intercede in my behalf. Also, our deities do not treat my wife as something less than me, for having been born without a penis. As Wiccans, I support my wife, a Witch, during our ceremonies, which we conduct beneath the night sky, the creator's most awesome and inspiring cathedral of all, illuminated by the soft silver light of Momma Moon, as well as the soft glow of torches and candles.

This is OUR cathedral............





4 comments:

  1. At the end of the day it should always be about what works for you - as long as what works for you isn't throwing a monkey wrench in the works of what works for someone else.

    "You" = everyone

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful cathedral you have built. I wish to virtually worship in it. OK... wow... I already am. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with buffalo - you find the path that fits and do your best to not impose that on others. The oneyou're walking seems to work well for you. Wouldn't for me, because of the deities thing. Fortunately for me, Quakerism/Buddhism don't require theism and and also incorporate gender quality.

    (I think the whole penis=superiority thing is just one big reaction to being born without breasts and a womb.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was not my intent to suggest that the way in which we interact with divinity should by any means be the only way or that it is superior. Our tenants suggest that ALL paths are valid that lead to whatever awaits us, as long as they do not interfere or harm others along the way. Even the Dalai Lhama asks that rather than convert to Buddism, those born of other faiths instead remain with their own and seek to find the best within their own teachings.

    ReplyDelete

Opposite and Equal Reactions