Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Sensory Overload and other Outrageous Lies........

The two-shift stretch for this week is done and my three day MY time is here. Didn't have to baby- sit insane people this time, just what I normally do, which is baby- sit SANE people......hehe.

A cool front passed through the area and dropped the mercury around ten degrees, a welcome preview of the upcoming fall which may or may not take forever to get here. It's getting hard to predict WHAT Mother Nature has up her sleeve these days, but I'll be happy as long as it doesn't involve forest fires, mudslides, hurricanes, tornadoes, flooding, or earthquake. The earthquake is not something I lose sleep worrying about.

We FINALLY found the gargoyles we were looking for amongst the tons of Halloween paraphernalia at the local target. They now sit perched on our arbor guarding the entrance to our shade garden/Sacred Circle. My next project is to put up guard rails to keep THE Wife/High Priestess of Pendragon Hold from tripping over things during our not-so-well-lit ceremonies. Thank the Gods we don't use ceremonial scissors..........

I have been getting much better sleep lately as my eyelid heals and the irritation that used to keep me awake has all but disappeared. Having gotten into the habit of taking Ambien just to get to sleep, I was having difficulty getting to sleep without taking it, but someone recommended Valerian root, a sort of herbal muscle relaxer, and it seems to work pretty good, once you get past the smell, which resembles something akin to dirty socks. Last night, sheer exhaustion sufficed to send me on my way to La-La land.

However, the irritation seems to be creeping back under my eyelid, and I can only hope it is simply part of the healing process and not my gland already plugging up on me again. OK, fine, then if I have to, I will sacrifice the 13 virgin hedgehogs painted Kelly green to Mergatroyd, the God of Irritations, on the 13th of every month for 13 months. Anybody HAVE any virgin hedgehogs I can "borrow"?

Just kidding.....

Now that I have given up my epic rants, you know, those pontifications designed to illuminate the general public as to what ails us and how to cure said ailment, my postings have become thin shadows of their former selves, and for that I apologize. I would very much like to be able to regale you with tales of my civil rights march on Washington, my solo accent of Mt Bugolulu, my Carnival cruise to seven ports around the Caribbean, or how I took down a terrorist suspect singlehandedly, but nothing like that happens around here, thus I must deny you the illusion that it does. Yes, folks, our life is BORING!

How-some-ever.......

It's real. I report at least 90% of it, with no fillers or artificial ingredients. And, sometimes, I even risk the ire of those I love by bravely reporting the facts, the whole facts, and nothing BUT the facts. Unless, of course, they are facts that simply have no place in the public domain. THOSE you would have to come here personally to dig up, and believe me, it ain't worth it.

So, blame it all on television. Yep, television has brainwashed us all into thinking that our lives are neat little thirty-minute episodes in which all kinds of strange, funny, and/or interesting things happen and problems are resolved almost instantly. Only we all know that's simply not the case. Life, in REAL life, is long stretches of relative boredom punctuated by mere moments of utter terror. Or sometimes it's a string of minor pleasures interrupted by hiccups of aggravation. That is how WE, the real people live, which makes for blogs which can be lean on drama yet rich on REAL.

This is real. Handle it with care.

8 comments:

  1. I'm thinkin' there is a thin line between bravery and utter stupidity. Good that you're staying on the safe side of that line.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A-HA! you watch Y&R don'tcha?
    C'mon fess up!




    So do you think that Victor is really going to mope around for another week? I doubt it. Jack and Adam are going to figure out what happened in Mexico and Nicky and Paul will be doing the horizontal mambo by Friday...
    what did you say about Hedgehogs?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will swallow cyanide before I watch one episode or Y&R, or ANY of those stupid soaps.........and sit-coms are starting to piss me off as well.

    But grab the pop-corn....Lost is back on......

    ReplyDelete
  4. C'mon LOST?
    They 'lost' me when the Polar Bear showed up!

    Try
    Deadwood
    Mad Men
    Entourage
    The Tudors
    American Experience
    Frontline
    NOVA
    Arrested Development
    ROME
    Band Of Brothers
    Life After People

    ReplyDelete
  5. Get rid of those I have to subscribe to cable to get and you have a deal. PBS is free and in HD over the air.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That stuff does stink to high heaven doesn't it? I have to hold my breath.

    I miss your rants.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Life, in REAL life, is long stretches of relative boredom punctuated by mere moments of utter terror."

    This is almost identical to a statement that I read about combat in WWII by a veteran.

    What's really going on at the hold that causes the terror?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the gargoyles ...

    valerian is wonderful - and you CAN buy it without that awful smell - the pills without that dirty sock smell are only marginally more expensive. What I find works is a mixutre I get with St. John's Wort and valerian.

    Life, real life, truly is more interesting (to me anyway) than fantasy.

    ReplyDelete

Opposite and Equal Reactions