Friday, October 10, 2008

Late Bloomers and Songs in my Head

It's a quiet, wet day here at Pendragon Hold. Both of the girls are working, and I am slothing off here on my third day off, preparing to return for a bout of weekend weirdness at the hospital. The three green pepper plants in the terrace garden are, long after all the other plants have given up the ghost and gone to seed, putting out peppers like crazy with winter fast approaching, as though laughing in the face of the reaper. I admire them so much I dread the idea of ripping them out come time put the entire garden bed to rest for the coming season of darkness and misery.

Just Because

Do you ever wonder whose face makes the moonlight?

Do you ever look up and find your face there?


Is it any wonder we find ourselves laughing

With your tongue at my lips and your hands in my hair?


I don't need a reason to savor the Mystery.

All we need to is open up one eye...


I don't need a savior to keep me from tumbling

I'll only kneel for my lover's delight


I don't need a church man to show me what's holy

When I see you in the doorway surrounded in light


I don't need a guidebook to paint out my story

I don't need a road map to find my way back home...


So why? Tell me why! How long? How long? 
What if "why" is just because?


I don't need a doctorate to speak with authority

40,000 years we've been painting in caves



I don't need an answer to each of my questions

When the nape of your neck just won't let me "behave"


I don't need a bible to swear on my conscience

I don't need a stranger to know I'm not alone


So why? Tell me why! How long? How long? 
What if "why" is just because?


I don't need a downbeat to dance in this moonlight

With the drum in my bones I'm naked here too


I don't need a lighthouse to find my way over

Filled to my brim with the wanting of you


I don't need a maestro to count out my measure

I don't need a songbook to howl up at the moon


So why? Tell me why! How long? How long?
What if "why" is just because?

I don't need a reason....



Copyright 1/6/97 Christopher Bingham


That ^ was one of my favorite songs, performed by Gaia Consort, one of my all time favorite pagan bands. I thought you might enjoy the lyrics as much as I do.

5 comments:

  1. I really really liked that song ...what beautiful sentiments

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great lyrics. A welcome line of thought just now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool lyrics. i have no idea why we feel the need to gussy up all of our fanciful notions and make up more sh*t?

    Just being here and knowing that you "ARE"..is a real miracle.

    As for the great qustions there is only WHY..
    the rest is just conversation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that painting.

    Gaia Consort is a great band and they live here!! Another reason why Seattle doesn't suck.

    ReplyDelete

Opposite and Equal Reactions