Monday, March 10, 2008

Renaissance (or a "Tale of Two Titties)

OK, I'm back. What? (You say) You were away? Oh, you funny..........

We took some time off to go to Tampa for the express purpose of going to the Renaissance Fair, secondarily to visit the Good Twin and Rolling Thunder. I am somewhat conflicted concerning trips like these. First off, it is GOOD to get out of the house, to go and DO things, experience something new, yadda yadda yadda. THEN there's those harsh little realities that come with said adventures. Leaving home. Sigh....I've become such a homebody I really don't like leaving my safe and secure little abode. And yes, I think that sucks. However, now there are other considerations which make me dread departing what I know as comfort for what I am sure will be extreme discomfort, and the BIG one rolls around come bed time. Both I and THE Wife have had difficulty constructing a bed our aging bodies can tolerate for a night without waking up in pain. I was afraid that whatever sleeping arrangements awaiting us at the kid's place would be worse, and I was not "disappointed". Oh, it was FAR worse! Now, I can't blame them in that regard because they DID buy a sleeper sofa, and when they slept on it themselves they found it quite comfortable. I just can't sleep on ANYthing anymore that is not really, really soft, but even then I can wake up with my back on fire. The main culprit is my sleeping on my stomach all my life and not being able to get to sleep any other way. The second big problem is how long it takes me to get to sleep and what can happen during that period, and what DID happen.A certain someone in the household can, shall we say, create a very realistic sonic approximation of World War THREE once the head hits the pillow. I have never been able to get any sleep during major conflicts, and this was no exception. Needless to say, when I leave home, I usually end up getting very, VERY tired.

Also, traveling by auto is starting to get very expensive these days. A tank of gas goes for thirty bucks easy now and the trip took slightly more than that, thanks to not having to drive the car while in Tampa. It's not that I think that $30 is a huge chunk of change during a vacation, but it does subtract from available funds for actually enjoying that vacation. I know, I'm a cheapskate, but coming from the economic badlands as I do, I suppose that comes natural. I still owe the Good twin for the tickets to the fair she got us online. I haven't forgotten that, dear.

HOWEVER......yes, I think we all had a pretty good time at the Renaissance Fair. If there is ONE thing I am not soon to forget about this adventure, it was the constant show my eyes were treated to by the ladies.....uh....wenches. I'm talking some serious boobage here! I would have liked to stay longer than we did but once around the fair was enough for the other three.

While we were gone the Evil Twin kept the goats and other animals fed, while the storm that passed through made a rutted mess of our dirt road. Today (I type this on the Monday of our return) the wife had to return to the grind, but I still have until the weekend, although I think tomorrow I'm going to have to find something productive to do around this place, like working in the terrace garden, which we'd like to have up and running this spring.

Oh, and while we were there, I got this plague for THE Wife's upcoming birthday. It depicts the Goddess in her three incarnations; Maiden, Mother, and Crone.



EMERGENCY ADDENDUM:

Our gracious hosts felt that I came across as having had a most miserable time while in Tampa. I want to make it perfectly clear right here and now that while I did experience some discomfort and lack of sleep, it was not due to any failure on THEIR part and that it would have happened to me no matter where I might have traveled. Please do not come away from reading this post thinking that our kids were anything other than great hosts, that they went out of their way to try and make our visit pleasant, and that overall I did not have anything other than a good time. I am a complainer; anybody who has read my rants for any length of time know that. I do not always come across as being appreciative when the situation could demand that I seem more so. For that I apologize, both to my readers and to those who share my experiences. That all being said, my sad experiences in the sleep department derive from MY method of sleeping and are in no way the fault of those who provide me with bedding. We can't even seem to find a comfortable sleeping experience here in our own home, so it stands to reason that expecting to find one elsewhere is a no=brainer. Again, my daughter and son-in-law were in NO WAY RESPONSIBLE for any discomfort I experienced, and I want them to know that I appreciated them hosting us for the fair, and that I apologize for any misunderstanding due to the way I reported on the trip. We DID have a very good time and thank them for that.

3 comments:

  1. Trying to sleep in a bed when you have a bad back is one of hell's torments.

    Wish we could fill up the tank for 30 bucks.

    The faires are always fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Taking a chance you won't delete my comment this time...I decided to write my own 'rant' if anyone cares to read it. Sorry if it's bitchy, just being honest.
    http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=72455853&blogID=367245370
    The Good Twin

    ReplyDelete

Opposite and Equal Reactions